Hey, friends! It’s Friday in Charleston and I’m back in your inbox to get you caught up on all the most important things happening in town.
But first, today’s weather:
Hurricane Ian. High: 71 Low: 64.
Attention, real estate pros in Charleston! We’re now offering an exclusive sponsorship opportunity for an agent interested in attracting local clients and standing apart from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top three stories in Charleston today:
- Charleston area animal shelters are working to clear spaces in preparation for Tropical Storm Ian’s impact. The Charleston Animal Society rescued eighty cats and kittens from Florida shelters earlier this week. The area’s animal shelters are searching for emergency fosters for dogs and cats to empty out low-lying shelter locations. The Charleston Animal Society has waived adoption fees for dogs over a year old to encourage adoption, as well. (Charleston Post Courier)
- The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division has announced charges against two North Charleston store owners. Tyrone Binyard, 25 years old, and Justin Outley, 25 years old, have been charged with the unlawful sale, manufacture of alcoholic liquors, and failure to secure a required alcohol sale permit. According to the department, an undercover officer was able to order a bottle of vodka from the JT Beer Run LLC on Ashley Phosphate Road. The business does not have the required license for the sale. (WCBD News 2)
- In response to Tropical Storm Ian, all Charleston County Parks and facilities will be closed today. The facilities will likely reopen tomorrow once conditions can be reviewed by staff. The James Island County Park campground will remain open for registered guests, however. (Holy City Sinner)
Patch deal of the day:
Looking to upgrade your laptop? We found a deal on refurbished 13-inch Apple MacBooks Airs that might be too good to pass up. You can save 74% and take home a great laptop with 8GB of Ram & 128GB of storage for less than $420. The deal is a for a limited time — hurry here for details.
(The Patch Deals team scours the web for deals we think our subscribers will like. We may earn a commission on products purchased. All promotions are as of publication and could change.)
Today in Charleston:
- Tai Chi At The Daniel Island Library (9:00 AM)
- Fossil Friday At The Charleston Museum (3:30 PM)
From my notebook:
- Is the current housing market making you feel a little overwhelmed? Consider this list of the latest properties in the Charleston area to hit the market. Click to view the full list of properties that includes prices, photos, and property dimensions. (Charleston Patch)
- Hurricane Ian has weakened into a Tropical Storm. The tropical storm will likely hit Charleston today. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best. (Official Account of Charleston via Instagram)
- The Charleston County Public Library has postponed Dorchester Road Library’s reopening due to inclement weather. A new reopening date will be posted soon. (Charleston County Public Library via Facebook)
Alrighty, you’re all good for today. I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update!
, Nicole Fallon-Peek
About me: Nicole Fallon-Peek is a journalist and copywriter with a degree in Media, Culture and Communication from New York University. She has served as a freelance reporter, managing editor, copy editor, and editorial director for a variety of B2B news outlets. She currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.