Hello again, everybody. It’s Saturday in Houston and I’m back in your inbox to get you caught up on all the most important things happening locally. Without further ado…
First, today’s weather:
An afternoon thunderstorm. High: 91 Low: 73.
Looking for more real estate leads in Houston? Let us help you reach prospective home buyers and stand out from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top five stories today in Houston:
1. Sip Hip Hooray reached its one-year anniversary of its flagship store June 3, It is a party entertainment service offering personalized party favors, custom artwork, invitations and more. (Community Impact News)
2. Law enforcement found and killed an escaped Texas inmate in an exchange of gunfire late Thursday after police believe he killed five people in a Leon County home, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. (Houston Patch)
3. Houston police said A fight in north Houston turned deadly overnight Friday at around 1 am and are now searching for a woman who allegedly drove away from the scene after a man fell from her moving car and suffered a fatal head injury. Whether the woman who drove away committed a crime is still under investigation. (ABC 13)
4. A 15-year-old boy has drowned after going fishing with a friend in Sims Bayou in southeast Houston Thursday night. The incident happened near Margaret Jenkins Park. Both kids were out without permission. (KHOU 11)
5. The Houston Astros have signed Yordan lvarez to a six-year extension worth $115 million, according to several outlets on Friday. lvarez has been one of the Astros’ top power hitters since entering Major League Baseball in 2019. (Click2Houston)
Today in Houston:
- GLOW Up Yoga – MATCH at Midtown Arts And Theater Center Houston. (10 am)
- Tai Chi at Discovery Green. (10:15 am)
- Houston Tattoo Arts Convention at NRG Centre. (11 am)
- WOB Bar & Kitchen Towne Lake And Katy Hosts Aloha Brunch! (11 am)
- Shen Yun 2022 at Jones Hall. (7 pm)
From my notebook:
- Houston’s Ship Channel is set for a massive, $1 billion expansion called Project 11, the Port of Houston announced. (CultureMap Houston)
- The Bali-inspired CBD lounge Wild is expected to open its second location in Montrose in August at 1609 Westheimer Road, Houston, taking over the former UB Preserv space. (Community Impact News)
- Blossom Hotel Houston has been named to a new list of 10 Hottest New Hotels in the US for 2022 from TripAdvisor, as part of its 2022 Travelers’ Choice Awards. (CultureMap Houston)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (June 9)
- Taxes in Retirement Seminar on June 13 & 16! (June 13)
- Taxes in Retirement Webinar on June 14 & 15! (June 14)
- Taxes in Retirement Seminar on June 14 & 16! (June 14)
- Add your event
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll see you soon!
, Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Houston Daily? Contact me at email@example.com