Once accused in fatal 2015 vigil shooting, Flint man is sentenced to prison on lesser offenses

FLINT, MI – A man once accused of a fatal shooting at a vigil in Flint has been sentenced for reduced charges.

Dominick Wright on Friday, June 17, was sentenced by Genesee County Circuit Court Judge David J. Newblatt to a minimum of 38 months to five years in prison for charges of possessing a firearm as a felon and five years in prison for felony firearm.

The sentences will run consecutively, but Wright was given credit for five years of jail time served on the second offense.

Wright was originally charged with one count of open murder, three counts of assault with intent to murder, felon in possession of a firearm, felon in possession of ammunition, carrying a concealed weapon and second offense felony firearm in connection with the fatal shooting of Jermaine Moore.

Moore was killed on May 27, 2015. Flint police were called to the scene of a shooting around 8:40 pm, where they found Moore with a gunshot wound to the neck. He died at a local hospital.

Former Flint Police Chief James Tolbert later said the shooting was spawned from a dispute over a parking spot during a vigil near Avenue A and East Witherbee Street on the city’s north side.

On May 29, 2015, Tauteece Shrylle McCaskill turned herself in to police after she was charged and accused of helping Wright escape police.

McCaskill’s case on charges of accessory after the fact to a felony and carrying a concealed weapon remains pending in Genesee County Circuit Court. Both charges are five-year felonies.

Crime Stoppers of Flint and Genesee County offered a reward of up to $1,000 in cash for information leading to Wright’s arrest.

Six months later, Wright was arrested. He was found more than 900 miles away in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He initially fought extradition before being returned to Michigan.

A Crime Stoppers tip led to his arrest, authorities later said.

Wright would eventually stand trial in June 2021 – Genesee County’s first jury trial of the year. But while the trial would come to an end, it did not offer any conclusion to anyone involved.

Wright’s trial – which started on June 9, 2021 – ended in a mistrial on June 17, 2021. Chief Judge Duncan Beagle previously said the mistrial was due to a hung jury, which means the jury was unable to reach a verdict on the case.

Another trial was held in February. The outcome was the same.

In May, Wright pleaded no contest to possessing a firearm as a felon and felony firearm.

A felony charge of open murder – as well as four other felonies – were dismissed as part of the plea agreement.

“We tried this case twice. Both trials resulted in hung jury,” Genesee County Deputy Chief Assistant Prosecutor John Potbury told The Journal in an email at the time. “Based on that, we decided to negotiate the settlement which resulted in the conviction of Mr. Wright.”

Read more at The Flint Journal,

6 years, 2 hung juries later, murder charge dropped against man accused in fatal 2015 vigil shooting

First jury trial of the year in Genesee County ends in mistrial

Crime Stoppers tip led to arrest of homicide suspect in Oklahoma

Report: Flint homicide suspect arrested in Oklahoma

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.