UPDATED: Suspect in Tysons Corner Center shooting should be considered ‘armed and dangerous’ | Headlines

Update, Sunday, June 19, 3:45 pm – Fairfax County police are searching for Noah Settles in connection with Saturday’s shooting that closed Tysons Corner Center and sent panicked shoppers fleeing or searching for places to hide.

Police say Settles got in dispute with another group at the mall, displayed a firearm and fired multiple rounds. He fled in black Cadillac with DC tags-GK0174.

Detectives have obtained warrants charging Settles with attempted malicious wounding, three counts of discharging a weapon in an occupied building and use of a firearm in a felony. He should be considered armed and dangerous.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call police at 703-691-2131 or call 911.

Tysons Corner Center reopened Sunday at 11 am

Previous story: Panicked shoppers and employees fled Tysons Corner Center Saturday afternoon after shots were fired inside the mall. There were no reports of injuries.

Fairfax County police say the mall has been closed as they investigate Saturday’s shooting, but it should reopen Sunday morning at 11 am

Even after police deemed the threat over, the mall remained closed as they swept the Tysons Center to collect evidence, and look for potential victims.

At a news conference early Saturday evening, Fairfax police said they were going through footage from hundreds of security cameras and were speaking to several witnesses who had stayed behind to share what they saw.

According to police, a fight had broken out between a small group on a walkway on the second floor of the mall near Macys, when a man described as a Black male wearing a black hoodie and jeans brandished a firearm and discharged it.

Police say they may have identified suspects and a vehicle involved with the shooting, but the investigation is still active and they will not release information at this time.

At the news conference, Fairfax County Chief Kevin Davis said that people at the mall, shoppers, employees, mall security and local law enforcement did an “exemplary” job of coordinating as the shooting took place and in its aftermath.

“We’re always fortunate if there’s not an injury, when shots ring out inside of a shopping center here or anywhere else in America, and no one suffers a fatal or a non-fatal gunshot wound,” Davis said. “What’s not a good thing is that is that it happened.”

The chief said that, after recent shootings in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas, police training for these kind of events has drastically increased.

“We join thousands of police departments across the country, as we prepare for acts of violence, aka active shootings. It’s happening at a relentless rate, it seems, across this country. And it can happen anywhere.”

As the shooting occurred, many employees and shoppers at Tysons fled the mall into the parking lot and neighboring areas. Others locked up shops and sheltered in place when they heard the mall’s emergency alarm system activated. Some of the initial panic was captured by users on Twitter.

Joshua Barlow is a writer, composer, and producer who has worked for CGTN, Atlantic Public Media, and National Public Radio. He lives in Northeast Washington, DC, where he pays attention to developments in his neighborhood, economic issues, and social justice.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.